Designers and Makers Christmas Fair 2021- CALL TO ARTISTS
Call to Kent designers and makers.
This event is organised by Kent Creative in collaboration with
Kent artists, makers and designers are invited to submit their work for the Designers and Makers Fair held at Turner Contemporary in Margate on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th December 2021.
Our goal is to showcase the work of designers and makers whilst creating an opportunity to sell directly to existing and new customers, in one of the main cultural venue in Kent.
The event – in its 4th edition – allows exhibitors to promote what they do and also to meet with other creatives.
How to submit your work
- Submissions are accepted from designers and makers living and/or working in Kent.
- Submitted works must be small objects that can be presented on a 180cm x 80cm table such as ceramics, jewellery, sculpture, 3D objects (wood, metal…), textile works, prints, photographs, decorative items… Works that need to be hung on walls cannot be accepted.
- Submissions must be made online from HERE.
You will be asked to provide a brief description of the items you intend to sell, their price range and your website address. You will also be able to upload up to 6 images of your work. We recommend you prepare your answers and images in advance to avoid losing your information in case of a disconnection.
- Kent Creative and Turner Contemporary will select works from submissions following criteria based on quality and public appeal. Their decision will be final.
How it works | Terms and Conditions
- The Designers and Makers Fair is a selling show where all works are made available for sale from 22 designers based in Kent.
- A table (180cm x 80cm) with white cloth will be provided to each exhibitor.
- Wi-Fi will be available for card payment devices. Kent Creative can take cards payment on behalf of exhibitors who don’t have a device. We will transfer the paid amount to your bank account minus a 2.75% fee.
- All exhibitors will have their contact details passed onto the Head of Retail at Turner Contemporary to review as potential new suppliers.
- Each of the selected artists will receive a set of professional photographs taken at the event (to include each stall + portrait). You will be able to use them afterwards for promotional purposes (brochures, website, social media…).
- A fee of £85 will be charged if works are selected for the 2 day market.
- A 15% commission on sales will be charged afterwards.
- 26th July (5pm): submissions deadline
- 30th July: the names of the 22 selected artists will be announced.
- 2nd August: an invoice will be sent out for the payment of the participation fee.
- 9th August: the full £85 payment must be received.
- Friday 3rd December: set-up day
- Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th December: the market is open to the public.
- Monday 6th December: an invoice will be sent out for the payment of the 15% commission, based on sales.
A few things to keep in mind
- Artists already stocking in the Turner Contemporary Shop will need to present different products at the Designers and Makers Fair.
- Stall holders are required to man their stalls during the market and deal will all enquiries from the public. It is the stall holders responsibility to ensure the safety of their products throughout the day. Kent Creative and Turner Contemporary are unable to be responsible for their stock.
- All stall holders need to have Public Liability Insurance of which we would need to have a copy if your work is selected.
- See pictures of the previous fairs HERE. Each event attracting approximately 3,500 visitors.
During the last event in 2019, we asked the exhibitors to score a number of aspects of the event (quality of the works, venue, organisation and the teams, information received etc). Their average score was 4.5 out of 5.
They found the event most useful to promote and sell their work (61%), network with other creatives (50%) and grow their client list (39%).
Their comments included:
I had a great time. I met so many lovely people there in such a beautiful setting and lucrative too, what more can you ask for!?!
I found the whole experience incredibly positive and really enjoyed it. The feedback from visitors and other makers was really encouraging and has given me the confidence to take my products/business to the next level.
The fair looked good, the quality of the work was very high and I think the public will put it in their diaries as a quality event for next year.
Finding it hard to think of an improvement. I think for me it ticks all boxes.
It was great to be with so many talented and interesting stall holders and lovely to have such good feedback from visitors.
It was totally enjoyable.
I’d just love to be part of the market again next year. The enthusiasm it has generated for future works is enormous, one couple said that my work was ‘moving’ – I couldn’t feel happier right now.